Friday, October 12, 2012

Key West



So as a child of an oldies-loving mother, I grew up listening to the best hits from the 60s and 70s.  Since the beach boys were popular during that time, my mom loved them as well.  One of my FAVORITE all time beach boys song was "Kokomo."  I used to always want to travel to the places in the song, they sounded so, well, peaceful and fun!  A little sampling of the lyrics follow:


Aruba, Jamaica oooo I wanna take you
Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go
Jamaica

Off to the Florida Keys
There's a place called Kokomo
That's where you wanna go to get away from it all

Bodies in the sand
Tropical drink melting in your hand
We'll be falling in love
To the rhythm of a steel drum band
Down in Kokomo

So we did not find Kokomo and I definitely googled it and it is in Indiana, so why they talk about it being in the Florida Keys, I do not know!  What I do know is as a young child in my mom's minivan, I used to love imagine the type of people that went to exotic places like Jamaica and the Bahamas and the Florida Keys and drank tropical drinks and listened to steel drums.  Well guess what?  I am now one of those people!  I have done all that!  I did not fall in love unfortunately as the song suggests; and between me and you, the sand and beach in the keys was not nearly as nice as in other parts of the Caribbean, but the peaceful part---yeah that was there!

Key West, a place, I had only heard my brother talk about.  He loved key west--loved the people, loved the location, loved the weather...and I never got it until I was there!  It was fairly nice (albeit a little hot) weather and the people are super nice, very LOW-KEY (in KEY west, imagine that!).  We enjoyed walking around and being tourists for the day, see the visual tour below....
We just got off the ship for a fun filled day!
Everybody loved getting their picture taken with a giant cigar!
Just a couple of sisters being butterflies!
Key West Palm Tress!
The Southernmost point!
The Water!
So after we walked to the southernmost point, we decided we might want the trolley to ride on for the rest of the day!

Me with the lighthouse

Cooling off at Ernest Hemingway's house!
Ernest Hemingway's creepy 7 toed cats!
How can you visit Key West without having Key Lime Pie?  We couldn't!
Right after lunch, we went outside to do some shopping and it started POURING!

This was the roadways during the down-pour.  They were already flooding after only 20 minutes of rain!
The Navy Ships!

The three of us with our 'home'!

Our precious bunny towel animal when we got back to the room!

Being silly and trying to pose like the photographer wants us to!


Our photographer, Thomas would be proud!






No comments:

Post a Comment