Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I am a reading machine....

I finished yet another book this morning (thanks to the fact that my little dog had me up at 6am), Sarah's Key.  I loved loved loved it.  If anyone knows me, they know I have a huge affinity for books about World War II and the survival stories of those so persecuted during the Nazi German reign.  I know it is a sad, sad part of our history, but I sometimes think by reading these books, it encourages and promotes the need to NEVER forget what we did in the world.  And to remember that genocide is STILL going on to this day, so we need to know we are all in this together.  


This book was the story of strength and courage, but also sadness and reality.  It follows a young girl, Sarah, taken during the Vel d'Hiv Roundup.  I was ashamed to admit, I knew NOTHING of this particular instance in World War II history and to know that 13,000+ people lost their lives because of this and I was oblivious was a sad reality for me to face.  This story was not about Poland or Nazi German, but about France.  When the French people turned against their own because of the German instructions.  Books like this make me think, what side would I have been on during that time, would I have fought for those who could not fight for themselves or would I be concerned about protecting myself instead?  I hope you take a chance to read it and question your own self as well.  The ONLY thing I did not love about this book (aside for the obvious sadness of our history) is that the chapters go back and forth between 1942 and 60 years later in 2002, so at times I found it hard to realize whose story I was reading about, but give it a few chapters in and it starts to fall into place.  Apparently there is also a movie that follows the book closely, so I will be checking that out of the library too!


Happy Reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment