Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Should I be trendy too?

So a new idea seems to be this trend of reading 26 or 52 books a year (aka 1 a week or 1 every two weeks). I am not as optimistic to assume I could do 52 in a year.  But I am quite sure I get somewhere close to 26 in a year anyway.  I only started tracking my books last June (2011) and from June-December, I read 16 books.  And have already finished 1.5 so far this year.  So it is not unreasonable to assume I am hitting that 26 books a year mark at all.  So I think that may be one of my other goals for the year...in addition to the traveling and weight loss (which currently is flat lining).  


So, you may be asking, what books are you reading?


Well, its fantastic you asked, cause I was going to tell you anyway.  


I enjoy reading all kinds---and I do mean all kinds of books, one week I will read Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, the next it will be a self-help book, and then next a James Patterson, and then maybe a historical novel on WWII.  So I try to run the gamut of topics when reading.  This year I started off the Gary Chapman's "Five Love Languages."  We did a quick overview in my small group a few weeks back and I wanted to learn more, so viola!  I thoroughly enjoyed the insight, but did not like the layout of the book.  He talked too much about his knowledge and experience with people, it seemed more a book about why he was so good at what he does.  But with that being said, I still loved the insight and have already taken to putting it to work.  Knowing my mom and brothers love language is acts of service I wasted no time trying to serve them.  How did it work out?  Great for my mom, I made her lunch and she showered me with kind words.  And with my brother?  Not so great, I took him lunch at work, but when I got him a Chipotle Burrito (his fav), I forgot he does not like beans, and he got mad and pissed off.  Later he did apologize but still not the welcome thanks I was hoping for.  Thus, I have vowed to continue working these out for people.  It is quite hard to learn ways to speak a long language to someone else that I myself am not fluent in.


All in all, I give the book a B.  Above average but not outstanding by any means.  It is an EASY read though, which I think was his intention and one of my downfalls of the book for me.  I always like a read that challenges me a little bit.  

Want to know more?  Here is a link you can use to find out your own love language and what it means to you.



Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment