Monday, December 21, 2015

Balsamic Roast Beef

So I have made this recipe a few times before but it is quickly becoming a fan favorite, so I am sharing it with you all today.

This ends up making a pretty sweet balsamic roast.  It is not bitter like you think of vinegar being but it definitely has a balsamic flavor to it, so know that going in!  I served it in slices this time but it shreds very easily and would probably make a great sandwich too!  Let's get started!

Ingredients (yes, sometimes I buy discounted meat, don't judge):

You can of course buy chopped garlic, but I like using fresh garlic, so I chop my own, with my handy dandy garlic rocker, seriously get one now (this is not even an affiliated link or anything, I just love mine).

Then spray the crock pot and in goes the meat...

I mixed all the remaining ingredients in a large measuring cup so it would be easy to pour over the roast.

Mix well, incorporating all the honey and pour over the meat.  Note, it may not exactly cover, that is okay.  I actually put it in the fridge overnight and flip the meat in the morning before I turn it on.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until done, this was probably more done than I would have preferred but it was still delicious!

Slice up and serve...

Though this was not part of the original recipe, I reserve some of the juice and bring to a boil with some corn starch to make a gravy type sauce.  Then served it up this night with mashed potatoes (instant--don't judge) and steamed broccoli.

Now for the recipe:

Ingredients:
* 1 boneless roast beef (chuck or round), 3-4 pounds
* 1 cup beef broth
* 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tablepoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 4 garlic cloves, chopped

Directions:
Place roast beef in slow cooker.  In a 2 cup measuring cup, mix together all the remaining ingredients.  Pour over roast beef and cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.  Once the roast beef is cooked, remove from slow cooker and break apart with two forks (or slice if you would prefer).  Laddle au-jus over the beef and serve, or see below for gravy.

Added direction: If you prefer a gravy instead of the au-jus.  Bring about a cup of the sauce to a boil and slow add 1/2 teaspoons of corn starch, stirring constantly until it thickens to desired consistency, remove from heat and spoon over meat.  This will become more like gelatin if you have it as leftovers so it really only works for the night you make it and will need to remake it for any leftovers, so store juice separately.



No comments:

Post a Comment